National "Girls Who Print" Day



TIME TO GET EXCITED!
National "GIRLS WHO PRINT" Day
October 9, 2012
GraphExpo - Chicago, IL, USA



Ladies, it is with great pleasure that I announce the first annual National "Girls Who Print" Day, which I will host on Tuesday, October 9th at GraphExpo in Chicago! We will be celebrating at Deborah Corn's PrintMediaCentr in Booth #3861. Come hang out with us in Deborah's  awesomely cool 4500 square foot Printerverse and enjoy live tweet-ups, meet-ups, video, games, prizes and refreshments.  I hope you'll come meet me, Deborah and everyone else who is brave enough to show up!



A little back story...


Girls Who Print has been a labor of love from the beginning. You've made me laugh, you've made me think, and occasionally you've even brought tears to my eyes as you've shared your stories with our little 'sorority'. I've spent the last 3 years trying to figure out why GWP matters to you, to me,  and to the industry. You've enthusiastically clamored for meet-ups and local chapters, and have been amazingly energetic in your support of our group. Considering that we've had no real purpose other than community, I find that exceptionally interesting.


As I explored options for keeping Girls Who Print alive and relevant, the most common recommendation I received was to pursue setting it up as a not-for-profit organization, offering educational and networking opportunities. I looked into that for quite some time, with a lengthy time-out for surgery and rehab.  After absorbing the amount of necessary fundraising, administration and the likelihood of needing to charge some kind of membership fee, I came to the conclusion that I couldn't find any really good reason to make GWP that complicated.  


I realized that there are already a number of excellent associations in our industry that already do everything that GWP might offer in terms of a paid membership organization.  Why would I try to duplicate and thereby dilute their outstanding efforts?  Repeatedly, I couldn't come up with a good reason to continue to pursue forming GWP as a formal organization.


Instead, I've developed and am personally funding a very simple agenda that I believe will fulfill the most basic distinctive of Girls Who Print.  At its heart, GWP gives women a voice, a place to speak and be heard, no matter what position you hold in our industry. 


What's next...


We will continue to be an informal, free organization. Our agenda for the next year? Use our collective and individual voices to let people know that they can PRINT without guilt - no trees will be murdered because you choose to print!


How are we going to do that??


Well...since this post is already really, really long...I'm not going to go into detail today! If you'll be patient for a few more days, I'm going to begin unveiling some really cool elements, including details about National GWP Day, a new GWP website, a rockin' new logo, and...some travel plans!  I am going to hit the road this fall, and hope to see YOU.


Stay tuned...GWP is just getting started!!

Comments

  1. Thanks,and what a great idea! I've worked out of my home studio for the last 3 years since my labdlord would not work with me on my rent. Not being in a store front has had it's good & not so good elements. I've had to get really creative in keeping myself visible. But so far I still have my customers who keep referring new customers as well. Thanks again! Carol Wittich, Fair Oaks, Ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I hope you'll come join us on LinkedIn - I know you can network with people in your part of the country through our group. You're right - working from a home studio or office has both good and not-so-good aspects. For me, it's easy to lose my social skills when I work from home - LOL. Here's the link to the group page: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Girls-Who-Print-1969742/about?trk=anet_ug_grppro

    Thanks for stopping by - I'll let you know when I'm going to be in your area!

    ;) mb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts