"What Were You Thinking???"


Girls Who Print? What a Hoot!!


Some of you have heard this before, so if you want to skip on down - no prob! Go right ahead!

When I formed Girls Who Print on LinkedIn in 2009, I thought that maybe 20 people I knew personally around the country might join up, and we'd chat and gossip about people who WEREN'T in the group or reminisce about printing companies we'd worked for, and just kind of stay connected across the miles and across the years. There was no serious purpose or grand plan.

By the end of the first week, I was dumbfounded to learn that nearly 100 people had joined, most of whom I did NOT know. Clearly I was going to have to take it a little more seriously - people were WATCHING - yikes!!  Then...GUYS wanted in, which was perfectly fine with me, as long as they behaved and could laugh along with us when we teased them. Seems reasonable, don't you think?

Which brings us to the point of this post. Our name! While most people who join  us seem to "get" the informal, lighthearted nature of the group right away, I am occasionally asked why I didn't use the word "Women" instead of "Girls". Perfectly good question, with a perfectly good answer.

Just because. :)

That's it.  Nothing complicated or seriously thought-out with regard to sociology, political correctness, women's rights or anything else.  Just a name that portrayed the friendly, welcoming, casual nature of women who share a common interest in a wonderful industry - that's all.  Don't get me wrong - As a woman who came of age in the 1960s, I have very strong opinions about equal pay and equal opportunities for women in ANY industry.  It's now the 21st century, and while there are still issues surrounding equality, the message is pretty much out there, and is not the strange new concept it was 45 years ago. GWP was never about choosing sides on important social issues - we're simply about making friends and encouraging each other.

In retrospect, I would still select the same name. Let's face it - there are plenty of professional organizations that offer special opportunities and education for women in our industry, and those organizations prominently feature the word "women" in their names - serious business, and they work very hard to fulfill their mission. I salute each of them.  It's just not what I set out to do. (Remember that "20 people" theory I began with?)

I had no other goal than to create a friendly community for my sisters in the printing industry, and to foster a sense of camraderie during a time when our field was undergoing a great deal of turmoil.  I was, and AM, quite happy to host a virtual "break room" where we touch base with each other, share stories, problems and generally cheer each other on.

So...what's changed?  Well, the BIG thing that changed is our size - we're over 3600 strong now. [UPDATE; as of 2017 we're over 9,000 strong.] I view that as a responsibility on my part.  If you've engaged with our somewhat quirky community to that degree, then it's clearly meeting some kind of need.  However, as  I've previously noted, I could find no compelling reason to attempt to duplicate the excellent not-for-profit groups that already exist.

Instead, I've come to the conclusion that the best thing I can do for all of us is to provide a platform where each woman (and the girls, boys, men, divas, princesses, dudes, and even the occasional leprechaun) can have a voice in giving our corner of the communications industry a higher profile and a better reputation.

I'll post a little more next week about how I hope to do that.  National "Girls Who Print" Day is a big part of our continued bonding as a community, and there are some exciting ways that you will be able to participate.

OK - that's enough for one post. We are going to have one great year, and everyone is invited to join in. And THAT is what make this girl who prints happy!

(For more info about National "Girls Who Print" Day, see last week's blog post!)


Comments

  1. Dearest MB

    Great blog, and I had to comment - just because.

    Coincidentally, when I matriculated at UniversityCollege - Galway (Ireland) in a previos century, I was called an 'occasional student.'

    God Bless you, and best of luck with all your adventures in print.

    KK the occasional leprechaun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny Kevin, when I was reading the blog the first thaing that came to mind after reading "leprechaun" was " I would really like to hear the leprechaun perspective" And here it is, Thank you for the giggle.

      Delete
  2. LOL - I wondered when you'd notice I had taken your name in vain!

    A busy fall coming up for GWP - look forward to seeing you in Chicago!

    :) mb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the name, always have. I think it conveys the light-hearted group you had originally envisioned. This is a group that has fun and also can easily discuss the serious things. It's like a bunch of pals hanging out, instead of the "executive" or "corporate" feel you get out of some other groups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thank you, my darling Anonymous!!! I'm glad you 'get it' - it is all about the camraderie - absolutely!!

    Thanks for being part of us, and thanks for ocmmenting!

    :) mb

    ReplyDelete
  5. The name just fits! I like the simplicity of it all given the complex, serious nature of our work at times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly, Dudasha - exactly!! :) mb

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Girls" makes me cringe. As a "perky blond Holly", I see it as a diminutive, often used to put down the mature woman.

    That being said, sometimes I just have to get past that!

    As a business owner, I have to deal with the conflict that I have in being myself, doing things my way,and conforming to image of the business exec to command respect. But I will never be the white male in suit and tie..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holly, I do know what you mean. I finally decided it had everything to do with context. When I'm with my friends, we laugh and call ourselves 'the girls' and it feels endearing and inclusive. However, I absolutely have been around people who use the word in a derogatory, diminutive way, and it annoys the daylights out of me, and I'm inclined to point out that they haven't earned the right to be my friend, much less dismiss me.

    Bottom line, society ALWAYS finds a way to use words to try to diminish anyone with power. A woman with power will be called a 'diva' (and not in a good way!)or a 'drama queen'; a man with power might be called a 'fat cat' or a 'czar'.

    I do have lots of thoughts and opinions on that whole topic - maybe we should start a good discussion in the LI group - I think it would be a great conversation!

    Thanks for commenting - hope to see you at Graph Expo!!

    :) mb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts